Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

March 12, 2015

2014 Recap: Highlights Magazine - Part 4

This week I'm posting the last of my work that was published in Highlights Magazine during 2014.  The following hidden picture drawings were printed in the Eagle-Eye Hidden Picture series.  They were part of the Gabby's Journal feature, which follows a little girl as she travels around the United States of America with her family.

In issue 32 they visited The Alamo in San Antonio, Texas.  I tried to load this one up with a lot of Texas stuff, like the state flag and the shape of the state.  Initially when my art director saw the lizard in the bottom left corner, she asked me to take it out, because she thought it was distracting.  But once I told her that it was, in fact, a Horned Lizard, the official lizard of Texas, she let me keep it!


In issue 35, Gabby and her family visited the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.  I have fond memories of visiting this museum as a kid, along with my grandfather who flew B-24 bombers in the Army Air Corps during World War II.  It was fun revisiting it through various reference photos.  


Believe it or not, that finally catches us up with all of the illustration work that I had not posted from 2014.  Next week we'll look at some new stuff from this year!

No comments: