Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

March 24, 2015

100 Watercolors #66 - Traps

In an effort to speed up the completion of this project, I have started reusing a few old illustrations as compositions for these themes, when appropriate.  As some of you might remember, this drum-playing octopus was featured on the cover of Ramen Music #3.

Initially I had this guy centered in the composition and was going to just leave the background white, but then at the last minute I moved him down and decided to go crazy with the watercolors in the top, to represent his drumming.  I have a hard time letting things be loose, so this was a good challenge for me.  There are some parts that are more successful than others, but in general I'm pretty pleased with it.


With this piece, I am now two-thirds of the way done with this project!  I've been pushing extra hard to try and finish the pencils for the remaining 34 themes.  Once that's done, all that remains is to ink and paint them!  In an effort to keep the pressure on, starting next week I will be posting two watercolors a week until the end of this project.  I will then release a book that contains all 100 watercolors and then I will sell off the original paintings.

Next week's theme: Playing the Melody!

No comments: