Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

November 2, 2011

100 Watercolors #19 - Gray

Back in 2003 I was at the Burke Museum in Seattle when I saw four men sitting in the museum's cafe. From left to right, each man was a bit older than the next.  It was like a living, three-dimensional comic!  Here is the sketch I made later that night, to try and remember the moment:


When I started sketching out ideas for this week's theme, that old sketch popped into my head, and I decided to try and modify it for my illustration.  Here's what I came up with:


I thought a lot about the colors in this one - to try and pass at least one element from each character to the next, to reinforce the sequence.  Also at the last minute I decided to leave out a background.  I felt like the characters got the idea across just fine on their own.

Next week's theme: Fortitude!

1 comment:

Al B. Wesolowsky said...

Oi! That's me on the right!

Neat idea, well executed. The middle guy looks so angry...