Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

August 1, 2012

100 Watercolors #38 - Abandoned

I'm not going to lie, this week's theme is kind of a bummer.  As some of you might know, I am a pretty big pinball nut, so when I started sketching out ideas for the idea of "abandoned," pinball came to mind. It used to be at the forefront of entertainment, but has since taken a back seat.  I tried to capture our culture's "abandonment" in this illustration:


1980 seemed like a good year to depict, because of the introduction of Pac-Man, which was a real turning point in arcade culture.  Black Knight was also released in that year.  Like I said, this image is kind of a bummer, but I would just like to go on record to say that those kids are making a huge mistake!  Black Knight is an awesome pinball machine, designed by the great Steve Ritchie, and it is a thousand times more fun to play than Pac-Man... at least for me!

Next week's theme: Dreams!

1 comment:

Alec Longstreth said...

Danielle had some trouble posting her comment, so she sent it to me via email, and I'm reposting it for her:

As a little kid I was keen to learn to play pinball. My uncle had a machine in his garage and my older male cousins would huddle around the pinball machine, playing for what seemed like hours. When I expressed interest in playing, I was temporarily disheartened when some teen dismissed me by saying "You're just a girl. You don't know how to play."

Well, this girl grew up with Princess Leia and punk rock stars as her heroines. So I saved up my pocket money, with every intention of spending it at the local arcade and becoming a pinball master.

Meanwhile, in Japan, the brilliant minds of Tomohiro Nishikado, et al, launched a video game that would become one of my most favourite games ever. Space Invaders. My dad and I would go see a movie on George St, Sydney, (The Muppets take Manhattan, Indiana Jones...) followed by an iced doughnut and games. Ah, happy memories.

The lights, the sound and animation of these video games thrilled me. Sure, I had to balance precariously on a milk crate just to reach the buttons. But, these games were new to everyone. So it was a level playing field.

Earlier this year I visited my boyfriend in Portland OR, we hung out at Ground Kontrol. With our pockets stuffed with coins, we enthusiastically played games late into the night. I performed terribly on the Indiana Jones pinball machine, however, I killed it on Galaga. In a way it was my (nerdy) attempt to further woo my boyfriend. And FYI, he is now my fiance. Video games FTW.

All the best and keep up the good work,
Danielle.