Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

August 15, 2012

Basewood Back Cover and Endpapers

When we last left the Basewood cover design process, I had finished drawing the front cover.  All the art for the book is due by the end of the month, so I have been working like crazy to draw the remaining elements.  Since you all joined me for the front cover design process, I thought this week I would show you how the back cover turned out:


Max likes to put one line from the book on the back cover, to help draw in the reader, and since L'employé du Moi is a small press publisher, they don't force me to put a bunch of sales quotes on the back.  I chose what I consider to be the most important line in Basewood.  Can you read the French?  :)  There will be a barcode and the price in euros on the bottom left, where the copyright notice currently sits.  You can click on the image to make it bigger!

I also drew the endpapers this week, which will be a one-color print, using a one dark brown Pantone ink.  I recycled an unused cover design, which felt good.  All those preparatory sketches were not for naught!


You can also click on this one to see it bigger.  And in case you are wondering, no, I did not redraw all of those elements.  I used Photoshop to grab them from various pages throughout the story, and then masked them to fit inside the wooden frames, which I drew specifically for the endpapers.


All that remains is to draw the art corrections.  There are a few continuity problems throughout the book (did you spot them?) and various panels need to be cleaned up, or redrawn to make things more consistent.  Also, Argus's face changed a lot over the course of the 204 pages / eight years that it took me to draw Basewood, so I'm going back through the first chapter and giving him a facelift.  I better get back to it!  Next week I'll jump back in on the 100 Watercolors project.

No comments: