Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

March 2, 2008

Harry Potter Character Vignettes

Last July, two weeks before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, my cartoonist friend Matthew Reidsma had the idea to draw one character from Harry Potter per day, until the book was released. He put up a master list on his LiveJournal but unfortunately, at the time, I wasn't able to participate because I had too many deadlines to meet.

So, even though I'm not playing within the posted timeframe, I thought I'd give it a go, as it is fun to draw these characters, and I'm in need of a small illustration challenge these days. This will keep the illustration parts of my brain in action while I am paying the bills with teaching work and spending my "spare time" on my comics.

So for now, here are the first five (Ron Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Argus Filtch & Mrs. Norris, Crabbe, Malfoy & Goyle, and Fred & George Weasley), which I had already completed this Fall. Next week I'll put up a new batch!








3 comments:

Chris Schweizer said...

Hard as it is to pick, I think my favorite is the Neville. How do you do these? Are they colored digitally, or is it acrylic, or what? They're great.

Alec Longstreth said...

Thanks Chris! Yeah, they are colored digitally, with some texture added, to make them look a little more "analog." There's more on the way!

Matthew Reidsma said...

Your Neville is the BEST! Do you mind if I add yours to the master list?