Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

October 23, 2018

The Unsinkable Walker Bean and the Knights of the Waxing Moon by Aaron Renier

I've decided to resurrect my illustration blog!  I'm still happy with my new portfolio site, but I missed being able to post about smaller projects which may not necessitate an update to my portfolio. Case in point... Walker Bean 2!!!

Today (October 23, 2018) is the release date of The Unsinkable Walker Bean and the Knights of the Waxing Moon by my old pal Aaron Renier.  I colored this book!

Aaron and I have been working on this book together off and on ever since the first Walker Bean book came out in 2010.  It's about a hundred pages longer than the first book, and it's jam packed with Aaron's heavily-detailed art, so it was quite an undertaking.

I think fans of the first book are really going to love this latest installment.  As with the first book, Aaron manages to pack more original ideas into any ten pages of Walker Bean than most cartoonists can get into an entire book.  His imagination is one of a kind.

When we started the first book, Aaron and I very carefully set up a limited color palette, so I used that again in this book, which kept things very consistent.  There is a lot of continuity between the two books, so readers will be rewarded for going back and rereading the first book before diving into this new adventure.  Here is a character sheet that Aaron and I created to keep the palette consistent:

All characters from The Unsinkable Walker Bean © 2010 Aaron Renier
And here are a few of my favorite two-page spreads, to help whet your appetite:





I'm very proud of the work I did coloring this book, and I hope that people will enjoy it.  Okay, that's it!  Got get this book!!

No comments: