Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

January 24, 2015

2014 Recap: Get Me Out Of Here! Cover and Save Rafe! Map

Okay, as promised, I'm finally going to start posting some of the illustration work that I did last year! I'll alternate these posts with my 100 Watercolors posts, until I run out of stuff.

In 2013 I finished illustrating Middle School: Ultimate Showdown.  Then, a few times in 2014, the art directors of the Middle School series contacted me to do a few random art jobs in "Rafe's" drawing style (which is, of course, drawn by Laura Park who illustrates the Middle School and I Funny series).

The first project was to draw some new Rafes for the cover of the second book in the series, Get Me Out of Here!  I drew half a dozen different variations and this one was used for the current cover, which still incorporates lots of elements from Laura's original cover, plus a new photographic element:


The second project was a promotional map for the sixth book in the series, Save Rafe!  The idea was to convey the entire plot of the book in one giant map.  I guess this folds in thirds and then fits inside the book, though I have never seen it in a copy of the book.  Maybe it only went out to schools or libraries or something?  If anyone has ever seen one of these in real life, please let me know!  I'd be interested to know where you came across it.

Click to see bigger!

Next week I'll be talking about some illustrations that I did for the Slate.com Book Review!

No comments: