Alec Illustration
Portfolio Books Coloring About Contact Blog

September 21, 2011

100 Watercolors #14: Smile


This week's theme is Smile.  As I was sketching out various ideas, I remembered one of the most touching smiles I have ever seen.  I went to Oberlin College and during my first year there I had a few classes with this one girl who always seemed very bummed out.  She always looked like she was on the verge of tears.    Over the next four years I would see her occasionally in classes or around campus, and it was always the same; she seemed so sad and downcast.  Then, magically a few weeks before the end of my senior year, I saw her walking across Tappan Square holding a bunch of red roses and smiling quietly to herself.  It was the last time I ever saw her, and it was so wonderful to see her finally smile.

Above is my clumsy attempt to illustrate that moment!  I'm pretty happy with how the grass and trees turned out in this one.  I feel like I'm getting better with layering different hues, and not overworking stuff!

Next week's theme: Silence!

No comments: